Thursday, January 30, 2014

"R"

Relationship: the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected.

Relationships are extremely important and I challenge everyone to form them ASAP.  The beauties of relationships are that you can have multiple ones with different levels of importance. Think about the first job you received, my guess is that you had some type of “Connection” or what I like to call a relationship. Why do jobs or universities ask for recommendations? They want to hear it from someone who knows you best, someone you have formed a relationship with because credentials aren’t enough. In our generation it’s about WHO YOU KNOW, VERSUS WHAT YOU KNOW. However, this is not always the case.  The importance of networking in our generation is vital, which is why many need to get off social media and focus on public speaking. I see many of my fellow classmates afraid to speak and give presentations in front of one another but can write emails and send text better than anyone you know. It is a duty to develop yourself as a complete package. Building a relationship is no different from networking. Many do not want to complete this task because they are afraid to step back and learn or that idea that they might mess up. Everyone wants it to be easy!


The relationship I want to discuss is mentor to mentee. I myself am 22 years old and have had several mentors since I was 13. But there is only one individual who I would say has impacted my life significantly and been there over the course of the 9 years. The man has truly taught me the importance of relationships and mentorship. He himself is in his 30s and has a mentor of his own, which illustrates that no one is old enough for a mentor! I honestly feel everyone needs a mentor and if you look at the faces of success in our country majority of them will tell you they would have never made it without someone (aka a mentor). Many shy away from a mentor because they feel the individual is there to “preach” or tell them how to live their life, which is false. A mentor to mentee RELATIONSHIP can be a friendship, a commitment, a role model, a family member, or whatever you want it to be. A mentor is there to help and guide you the best way they can. I always wondered why my mentor(s) reached out to me and not until recently has it ever made complete sense. These individuals have a passion to give and help which I believe is contagious. They simply passed it on to me and now I dedicate myself daily to helping and making a difference. One thing I learned is that you cannot help everyone but you will be able to touch one life. Mentorship and relationships are gifts that keep giving. Do not be afraid of help and guidance. Surround yourself around those who may not be on the same path but are heading the same direction, build a relationship! 


“Trust is to human relationships what faith is to gospel living. It is the beginning place, the foundation upon which more can be built. Where trust is, love can flourish.”
-Barbara Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment